Saturday, July 26, 2008

Organizing and focusing a blog.


Studying blogs, or I should say "Successful" blogs, I see that they all seem to follow a theme. They appear to be written by dedicated and focused people, people who have deep interests in one or two particular issues. Like, Guns and Food, or Guns and Politics, or Politics and Food or dogs and politics. This isn't to say that these people are not deep or diverse. No, it is observing that they seem to have a real passion for a couple of different topics.

One reason I see me having a difficult time getting a blog going and gaining any readers is that I am not one of those kinds of people. I have always been disappointed that no single topics or areas of interest manage to really suck me in for long periods. I tend to tire of the subject all too quickly.

My main interests tend to be along the lines of Computers, Tanks (wwII vintage), guns of all variety, Various Reading Genre's such as Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Historical reading. However, not having an obsession with any subject, I have to wonder if I would be able to draw any kind of consistent readership, even if I were to become a talented writer, which is a real long shot.

So how much does obsession play into being a successful blogger, or writer, or artist or anything? While I am successful in my chosen career I could move up, IF only I could find that drive, the fire of obsession. All too often I think, naaaah I'm bored, lets move on to something else. Hmm this is turning into a blog about a quest to become a blogger :)

No comments: