Wednesday, July 9, 2008

7.7 Jap needs refurbished.



My one and only World War II battle rifle is a 7.7mm Japanese rifle that My grandfather came home from the war with. I never got the story as to where or how he picked it up, but it has seen some rough use.

I want to do some restoration, the "Airplane" sites are missing their fold down horizontal arms
and there was no bayonet attachment for it.

There are three Kanji characters on the top of the receiver and the numbers 56140 stamped on the side of the receiver. There are two stamped characters one on either end of the string of digits.

The Saftey mechanism is a Palm operated job on the rear of the bolt, which has what I guess as a Chrysanthemum design on it.

The hunting History I know of this weapon is that MY dad and at least two of his brothers at one time hunted white tail deer with it, as did I on several occasions.

The wood on this is a rather short front stop with a longish exposed barrel. A curious thing is on the left side of the stock there appears to be an oval plug stamped or glued into the side.

I want to try and get some pictures of this veteran weapon of war to show you what I mean.

Hmmm looks like I'm going to have to work on that image insertion thing...can't seem to do what I want.

2 comments:

Home on the Range said...

You've been added to the Home on the Range gun roll. Hope you have some more visitors, it's fun to watch this evolve.

MagiK said...

LoL Yeah it is, as you said, kindof addictive :)