Monday, July 7, 2008

Movie Review: Hancock


Ok, yes I know it has been out since last week. However since I do the majority of my work on Friday and Saturday I choose to see movies on Monday or Tuesday, preferably in the early afternoon.

This movie did not get great reviews in the Washington Post or People Magazine. I find that I generally disagree with their assessment of the films anyway so who cares. Being a fan of comic book superheroes from earlier in my life and being a typical geeky guy, If the trailers don't look too horrible I am likely to go see this type of flick. It helps that my other half, Mysti likes most of the same kinds of flicks that I do. So off we went this afternoon to see the show.

I should note that going to the movies on a Monday or Tuesday afternoon also means that often we have the theater almost to our self. No crowds or distracting side conversations going on while we are there. Having read the reviews but no spoilers I went into this film expecting it to not really deliver much. As usual My opinion and Mysti's differed from the professionals, whom I think seem to be way too elitist in their critiques.

The movie was a typical summer entertainment flick, action, adventure and special effects. There was a plot twist that sort of took me by surprise half way through which these days doesn't happen often. Will Smith typically delivers a solid performance and I am pretty sure he can play the part of Canned Spam and make it interesting. If you go into this movie expecting a light story without literary aspirations then I think you will be entertained. I gave it a solid 3 stars and perhaps 3.5 out of 5.

5 comments:

Home on the Range said...

My week is not going as planned. The red passport was out by last night, and my plans for a quiet week.. . pffffffffffffft.

I have a laptop though.

MagiK said...

Well I hope you have good net access wherever you go, however I think your fan base will just appreciate you all that much more if you lose connectivity for a time....

Hmmm starting to lean back toward the Contract Killer side of Medical Examiner...The Name is Brigid, Brigid Bond. Licensed to exterminate or at least clean up afterward.

Seriously have a safe trip where ever you are going.

Home on the Range said...

the name's Bond. . .I'd like my drink shaken. .

No wait!. . dammit. . the beer. .it's GONNA BLOWWWWWWW!

TV without full fledged cable. I have the choice of The Munsters and if I'm interpreting this correctly. . some show called

"All About Dung."

MagiK said...

LoL, ok maybe we need to create a new super hero persona for you. I'll keep the idea percolating in the back of my mind. In the mean time, no shaking the beer.

Gotta love that foreign entertainment....altho I for some reason always liked the Munsters.

I want to also thank you for taking the time and providing input here, and being my only poster :) I am constantly amazed at the kindness of strangers, errr not that I'm calling you strange or anything, you are no more strange than I am, uhhh wait...no that isn't very well put either. Well you get the idea I hope.

MagiK said...

Oh good grief! I have had my illusion shattered :)

I just realized, you and Carteach0 have your reading libraries combined.
Or at least I think you do, it is hard to imagine the both of you having that many books in common.

Here I thought there was an individual woman with impossibly guy like reading taste ;)