Sunday, September 28, 2008

Range Report

Well we had a 10 hour class and by the time we were ready to put some lead down range the skys had cleared and the rain had stopped. There were three instructors, the ""Gunny" is a nationally ranked shooter and knows his stuff, as did the Sheriff, Jeff and The former Russian "Gene" all of them very very good with their weapons. The class was somewhat basic overall, but perfect for C.

I learned what my problem has been with my Sig, three very simple things.
1. I now use an Overlap grip instead of a pedestal grip
2. my overall body stance was not optimal
3. The indoor range I normally shoot at is too dimly lit. I could really see so much better outside, and by see, I mean how the sites line up.

I fired off 60 rounds very quickly and hit center mass with every shot, the groupings were not too bad, but need work and at least I'm getting them much closer to where I am looking. Over all I used up about 150 rounds with nothing off the center mass. (9" pie plate) Not great shooting but good enough for home defense.

C. using the Huntsman had to overcome an initial fear and tension about the weapon, then had to get used to the guy next to her shooting. Once she stopped shaking and jumping out of her skin she settled down and did very well, her last 30 rounds were center mass. When she gets more comfy with the pistol and doesnt take so long between raising the weapon and firing she will do great. (One funny bit, on preparing for her first shot, she racked the slide back and the mag fell out of the gun. Totally hilarious and totally my fault, I didn't push the latch forward far enough when I was showing her how to secure the mag in the pistol)

We had a good time and C was showing interest in taking the rifle course to learn about the M4 and AR15 style weapons, We got our certificates AND our first "rockers".

3 comments:

mysticelt said...

...nothing like feeling confident in your firearm. eh? Click. Hahahahahaha! No wonder every time I ran out of ammo I jumped or cringed - I was afraid the the gun fell apart - (sweetness neets to fix the grip, too as it is loose.) But I will be a good sport as I felt good about my abilities - especially since I didn't provide any of my own ordinance. - thank you, honey! - and you were the awesomest shooter out there outside the instructors.

MagiK said...

Don't forget the little Asian Girl, she was pretty good too, showed up nearly everyone else.

mysticelt said...

...now you are just fishin' - you were the only one using one handed stance and nailing the center of the target. now go fix the handle of the 22 please and plead for my mercy. ;p