Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I got the Job.

Completely new type of job for me starting on the 22nd. I am looking forward to something new and a little ... nervous I guess is the word about something completely new. I am moving out of a support and engineering type role and into a testing and documenting role. I will need to do some serious improving to my writing skill. I had planned on taking a technical writing course this semester, but decided to take a break between the AS and BS phase of my formal education. I did find out that I have the equivalent of a BS EE from my Navy career and now have an AS in Technology Studies and will work towards a BS in Information Systems Management.

I guess if I want to make any more significant increases to my income, I will have to consider at some point moving into management, however I may not do that before I retire at my planned retirement age of 56, of course when I say retirement it is a relative term, I'll definitely want to switch to a lower stress, more fun but probably a less lucrative job to keep myself occupied.

2 comments:

machinehead1956 said...

Congrats Magik!
I hope to retire at 62 and now that my house is paid off that goal seems to be realistic.
When I was younger and ambitious
I tried management, was a foreman for General Electric for 4 years and hated it. I have been offered a foreman position 3 times where I work now and declined each time. I prefer being a grunt. :D

MagiK said...

Thanks :)

I suspect that I too would dislike the Management side of the house. I do like the "Lead" position and since this is a brand new group, I may in the coming years actually be one of the core "Leads"
so I suppose that would be a step up without actually going into management.