Saturday, August 16, 2008

Time for a change

Over the last little while I have been noticing that I fell into a trap where I let work become all and life almost nothing. I noticed that while I was working I was fighting the system and ramming my head into brick walls (metaphorically) over and over again trying to halt what I see is a downward spiral in my department and when I was not working, I was thinking about work. This situation leads to a build up of stress that can make one angry and irritable and one has to step back and ask. "For what?" With these thoughts in my mind, I decided that I needed a change. Many times I thought I would do some job hunting to find a different place to work and time after time I found that all I would be doing is trading in one headache for another. From what I can see, it appears that the American Technology Industry is looking like a pack of lemmings. I see Managers and Senior managers who have no experience with technology trying to lead, but their vision of leadership is to ignore the very experts they hire to advise them. It is as if they want to do the exact opposite of what their hired professionals tell them needs done. It also seems as if an expert from outside the company is automatically more knowledgeable than anyone who was silly enough to become an actual employee of said company.

I decided a week ago after talking to a friend in a different department that maybe if I cannot seem to find a good fit at another company, perhaps I can make a direction shift within my own.
To that end, yesterday I officially applied for a different position in my company, which still IT related would take me out of the hardcore technical side of things and put me more into the leadership and management side of things. Inside sources lead me to believe I would be a perfect win win for that group, however there are political issues centered on geographical location that may throw a wrench into my plans. I look at it as a "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" type of thing. I have always enjoyed being a "Technical Expert" and advising management, but now that "Management" does not appear to trust nor want advice from those they hired to do the advising...it may well be time for me to move on to a new phase. One thing I AM sure of, is that under no circumstances will I relocate to California.

Now, all I need to do is manage to make my brain shut off when I'm not working so I can focus on having a life again. I know it is possible, but like all worth wile things, it takes some work.

Oh and anyone who knows of anyone who is in need of a very experienced UNIX System Admin who has years of leadership experience feel free drop a line to immagikman@gmail.com.
Salary and Location negotiable as long as it is not in NY, IL, CA or MA ;)

5 comments:

machinehead1956 said...

Magik, don't rule out Massachusetts, this is a high tech state afterall. You could always live in Cow Hampshire and commute like many thousands of others.

MagiK said...

LoL I hate commuting and I hate cities. Besides if a company is really high tech and knows it's stuff, physical location should not even be an issue for the work I do.

As long as I have a 5mb connection or higher, I don't need to be anywhere in particular :)

MagiK said...

Oh and let it be known, I don't hate the people in those states I listed, it's the governments in those states.

Cow Hampshire is somewhere I think Mysti might approve oh however. (I like that Cow Hampshire hehehehe)

machinehead1956 said...

Magik, lots of UNIX System Admin jobs here.
http://www.dice.com/

MagiK said...

Thanks MH, yeah Ive been scanning the online resources. Still looking for exactly the right thing.

I guess I didn't put it in the post but There are loads of jobs. Just looking for THE job :)

It's hard to explain but like art, I may not be able to define it, but I know it when I see it :)