Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Getting old can suck.

Well as a kid and adult I used to be pretty active and pushed the old body pretty hard. From being in the outdoors, hiking, lifting weights, racket ball and a host of pickup football and baseball games. I kept this up till I was about 33 or so then had to back off gradually as things started breaking, ankles, wrists, thumbs. I bounced back fairly quickly from each injury and moved on without a second thought, now however those old injuries seem to want to come out of retirement. Weather changes are a real bitch these days, I feel like a walking barometer. Shoulder, ankle, knee and thumb all indicate bad weather approaching.

When I was in my early 40's I had my last (I hope it is the last) major injury and it came out of nowhere, a tendon in my shoulder just decided it wanted to go walkabout to see the rest of the neighborhood, so it detached from the bone and flapped around a bit visiting all the other bits and pieces in the general vicinity.

I did not know anything was wrong when I went to bed, the shoulder had an odd feeling to it, but not really painful. I woke up and was completely unable to move my shoulder. It was the strangest injury I had ever had. All that I had done the day before was spent 12 hours in the car, driving up to see my kids and taking them to see some relatives from my side of the family, then dropped them off with the ex and drove home.

The wonders of modern medicine meant that I would just need to have two small incisions made, one in the front of my shoulder and one on the back side. The surgeon would use ortho or lapro scopic techniques to work through one (Ortho and lapro...need to look up the proper term) and observe via fiberoptic camera with the other one. They used some titanium screws and some other materials to tie everything back together again. It worked pretty well and my down time was only about a week. One thing though was for several months after the surgery, my shoulder squeeked, it was really weird, I felt the urge to walk around with an oil can and wear a funnel on my head.

Now, that wich brings around this bloggy whine the problem seems to be back. It is hard to type and the shoulder area has that same numb, odd feeling when the injury first happened. so now I have to set up a round of appointments to see a guy about a new shoulder...or at least doing some warrenty work on their first job.

Growing old, it's a hoot!

No comments: