Thursday, August 7, 2008

Dark Knight Movie Review

Saw this the other night with M. After all the hype, I suppose it would be hard for any movie to live up to the expectation. I honestly did not have a serious "Gotta See this" thing going for the movie, and was not a Batman Comic groupie as a kid.

Growing up I knew Cesar Romero was the Joker. Period. Then Came Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson to the movies and Jack just did the Joker perfect as far as I am concerned. I still think after watching Dark Knight that Jack was a more true version of Romero's Joker. Along the way over the years I did learn that the Comic version of the Joker was a darker scarier character. So I guess Ledger did his homage along those lines.

I found the film to be edited in a kind of haphazard sort of way (sort of like my writing style), one shot would emphasize something then you would never see it again, leaving me feeling like someone got a bit carried away in the editing room. However at 2 hours this is not a short movie so I can not guess why the film seemed so choppy to me. The Joker was fairly well fleshed out, but Batman, and all the other characters seemed to be kind of hollow. I realize that as I grow older I will lose touch with what the target audience is into (the 18 to 35 set) and have to conclude that the target audience has no patience for plot development or for in depth character studies, which is why this film probably appeals to them.

All in all I give it 6 out of 10 stars. Maybe a 7 if I didn't have to spend $10 a pop for tickets.

No comments: