Thursday, June 11, 2009

John Wayne, 30 years later

I guess it is 30 years since the Duke lost his battle with Cancer the guys over at NRO have a tribute to the Duke

Some of my favorite John Wayne films are (in no particular order)

True Grit (1969)
Rooster Cogburn (1975)
The Shootist (1976)
Big Jake (1971)
Chisum (1970)
Rio Lobo (1970)
Donovan's Reef (1963)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence (1962)
The Longest Day (1962)
Alamo (1960)
The Green Berets (1968)

Good lord do you know how many films this guy was in?
Obvoiusly I favored his later roles as I was not much of a Cowboy movie fan though I did like many of his. I liked most of his war movies but this guy had a career spanning 1926 to 1976
50 years of film making. Not a lot of Stars had active careers that spanned that kind of time.

I think this week I need to break out some DVD's and get re-aquainted with the Duke.

3 comments:

Home on the Range said...

I think I've seen all of his movies, many several times. You can't find much of anything on the screen any more that compares.

MagiK said...

Pretty much my sentiment Brigid.

I have friends who talk about Lee Marvin and Henry Fonda, and Jimmy Stewart all of whom have good westerns but, their offerings are not as numerous. Like them all but the Duke is special.

dsmith said...

Be sure and check out The Quiet Man

IMO one of his best